Friday, October 19, 2007

 
The Sound of Music makes me cry every time I watch it and I think I finally know why:

At a critical turning point in the story, a man that, in his grief and loneliness, was cold and harsh with his children and others is made aware of it and realizes the harm that he'd done. He ernestly regrets it and apologizes. The apology is accepted and he's forgiven. Reconciliation occurs and the movie shows the joy that ensues. The process of apology, forgiveness, and reconciliation is something I never saw in my home as a child. Now, I'm fully aware that life cannot and should not always be like the movies, but let's also acknowledge this: Stories in movies are drawn from experiences in life. Ignorance of this process has cost me and people around me and is something to grieve.

It's also something to correct as I grow and learn new ways to live.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?