Saturday, August 11, 2007

 
After a little dispute with someone very dear to me this morning, I had to work to find my center again. The answer seemed to lie in two things: Acting honorably and doing what was the next right thing, and staying in the moment with that. My irritation and aggravation faded, and when I saw the person again a couple hours later, I was at peace. An old habit kicked in, prompting me to offer a one-line apologetic explaination that was likely unnecessary and, I think, would have been better left unsaid.

One lesson from this is that it isn't required I be spoken to a certain way. My pride was basically the source of the dispute. I simply could have taken the request to perform a task at face value, and done it. As it was, my mind flipped into thinking about the bigger picture and my feelings about being left out of the planning popped up. The instant they surfaced, I quit listening which made my partner aggravated as it became apparent. As I consider the coming work this afternoon, I can see that there will be plenty of opportunities to join in the planning once things are underway. What I was asked to do was necessary in all scenarios, and so any dispute over it makes no sense.

A Buddhist way of looking at it: Let go of desires and aversions, take in the situation without judging it, and respond in compassion so that no suffering is caused for myself or others.

A Christian way of looking at it: Don't let pride get in the way, trust God that you'll be OK, serve others in love.

Again, I am tempted to write how I harmonize the two views, but I think it's best to leave it. If one sees the harmony as I do, no description is necessary. If one doesn't, then no description is helpful. We're all on a spiritual path of one sort or another. I have one that works for me today.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?