Thursday, June 28, 2007

 
As life goes on, it seems time to write a few thoughts down after not doing so for a while. . .

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is one of the most heartrending books I've ever read and, I think, the darkest story I've ever read. Not in terms of evil, mind you, but in terms of outlook. The writing is beautiful, devastatingly effective. Thomas M. Disch's The Genocides is the only other book I've read that is possibly as dark in outlook, but the writing carries a more intellectual impact where The Road carried, for me, a visceral one. Excellent reading.

Phil Doran's The Reluctant Tuscan is a lighthearted tale about relocating to Italy in a fixer-upper. A lot of fun.

The Middle East continues in its insanity as does the US and European political scene. Honestly, I can't remember anytime in my life that I felt more events made less sense than currently. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?