Friday, August 04, 2006

 
Just finished Delany's Neveryóna. What a different read this time at age 48 from the first time, probably at age 24 or so! It's the type of book, as are all the Nevèrÿon books, that is slow reading for me, but that I find thoroughly enjoyable now. It's fantasy that is completely different from all other fantasy I've ever read. Very intelligent. Very thought provoking. Years ago I read them with incorrect expectations, looking for the average sword and sorcery tale, which is not in the least what they're about. Highly recommended.

The next one for me is Tales of Nevèrÿon, actually the first of the four books.

A couple DVD's: Jethro Tull at the Isle of Wight, The Gumball Rally, and Kontroll. Enjoyed them all very much. I'm an old Tull fan from way back. I hadn't seen Gumball Rally in since high school. The cars were so much fun. The action is sedate by today's standards, but it's a really fun, very light-hearted film, with not a trace of malice anywhere to be seen, something impossible to find in current films. Kontroll is an Hungarian film well worth seeing.

At a friend's recommendation, I've started keeping a journal of writing ideas along with words I don't know that I run across while reading. I'll say this: Why didn't I start this before? I used to think I never had ideas. The truth is I had them and just forgot them. This is going to be good, I think. The word list I had done 15 years ago for a couple years and looked up a good couple thousand words. I have around 120 from the last couple weeks already. Great way to work on vocabulary.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?