Friday, February 03, 2006

 
I was counting my blessings the other morning in the car on the way to work. Some of those are things that I am able to see real beauty in. Some are classics, some are just personal favorites. There's nothing I can say about the classics in art that are my favorites; people have written about them much better than I can. Here are a few things that I find beautiful:

Michelanglo's Rome Pieta.

Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling.

Van Gogh's last self-portrait.

Van Gogh's old peasant man.

And there are just too many others to mention, these are just off the top of my head.

Some things seem like poetry in motion to me:

Bjorn Borg's backhand.

Julius Erving's dunk, gracefully delivered with full wrist extention because of the size of his hands. It made Julius seem longer than others doing the same thing. Also, the ball almost never touched the rim which is very different from many other players, including Jordan, who very often banged it off the back. Watch closely at Slam Dunk Contest tapes and you'll see exactly that.

John Gill on any boulder problem, but in particular, doing a one-arm pullup on a boulder problem, having his feet in hard rubber climbing shoes not make a sound when they return to the rock.

My old friend Tom on any hard boulder problem, in particular, I remember him on the cannonical dyna-mo on the Penny Ante boulder. He did it several times in a row, and seemed to just float up.

Again, there are so many others, but these are the first to come to mind.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?