Sunday, January 29, 2006

 
A couple books that I really enjoyed lately: An Empire of Wealth by John Steele Gordon is a history about the American economy. Ursula K. LeGuin's The World for World is Forest was a nice read about colonizers running into natives and the bad parts of our natures. Thomas M. Disch's The Genocides is positively the saddest, the most depressing, 143 pages I've ever read. And I mean that in a good way: It takes a good writer to get across something that powerfully. Sometimes what's inside us is quite difficult to look at.

My 85 year-old father and I took a ride in the country yesterday, back to the small town he grew up in, and the neighboring towns only a few miles away. He reminisced as I drove his car. We stopped in a cemetery where some relatives are buried. Odd seeing my name on gravestones. The trip evoked an odd sense of looking backwards in time while the scenery was new for me, a strange blend of past and present simultaneously closing and opening.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?