Thursday, March 05, 2009

 
A couple good movies of late:

I loved The House of Flying Daggers. Beautiful visuals, wonderful choreography and performances made for a martial arts film that I enjoyed as much as any film I've seen in a while.

In a slightly different vein, The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li was a lot of fun, perhaps a touch more lighthearted. I confess a real fondness for Chan, his acrobatic talent and his delightful sense of humor.

And my children and I simply laughed our heads off at Get Smart. Fabulous!

On other fronts:

I had gotten to the point where I was not doing my upper body workouts because they were taking almost an hour. And so, I was doing nothing. Non smart. What I've been doing for weeks now is interleaving little sets of levers or pullups into my daily life instead. When I walk past the pullup bar, I see how long I can hold a one-legged lever. Or do 5 pullups. Things like that. If I'm a touch sore, I back off a little for the day. Lo and behold, my strength is coming back up. It may not be the ideal way to train, but it's clearly better than doing nothing. It also makes the time spent working out seem almost imperceptable. It's basically free and so it gets done.

Spiritually, I've been working to increase my awareness of myself. Writings by Anthony De Mello are particularly helpful. I have his The Way to Love and Awareness. Wonderful stuff! The blending of Buddhist and Christian ideas is beautiful and useful in immediate and practical ways.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?